The town of Fishtail was built on the homestead of John Mauer. The Fishtail Post Office was established in 1900 with Stressley Tunnell as post master. The land was eventually purchased by Joe Mason in 1907. It was not until March 7, 1913, that Joe and Adie Mason made a successful application to plat the town on this small tract of land which Joe owned. He boasted "that the climate is so good, the water so pure and the fishing so excellent that in all probability we may be able some day to become the county seat!"
The town at this time had a saloon, a blacksmith shop, a livery barn, and a hotel. In later years, local businesses had access to the trade of the men and women that the chrome development brought to the upper country, as well as the construction of the Mystic Lake power project.